Brazil visa in Buenos Aires

How to Get a Brazilian Visa in Buenos Aires

One of the unfortunate parts about traveling in South America on a United States passport (and, in some cases, an Australian one) is that you must obtain a visa to enter many countries U.K. and European citizens can enter freely without one. In some cases (Bolivia, for example) this isn’t a big deal, as many countries issues visas on arrival at border crossings.

Brazil, however, is another story. Although I’ve heard stray reports of people being able to obtain visas at the embassy in the border town of Porto Iguazú (near the famous waterfall of the same name) I’ve heard just as many saying that this isn’t actually possible.

If you find yourself in Buenos Aires prior to visiting Brazil, obtain your Brazilian visa in Buenos Aires from the Consulate General of Brazil’s office. Getting your Brazilian visa here occupies a few hours of sightseeing time in the Argentine capital, but ensures you won’t get turned away at any Brazilian land or air borders for not having one.

Need help planning your trip to Brazil? Hire me as your Travel Coach!

Required Documents for Brazil Visa

NOVEMBER 2014 UPDATE: Leave Your Daily Hell reader Lourdes informs us that the consulate now requires a recent bank statement, so please print and bring yours. Thanks, Lourdes!

OCTOBER 2012 UPDATE: Leave Your Daily Hell reader Carly informs us that the consulate has become stricter. Apparently, you now MUST download and print the Brazil visa application in advance and also, bring confirmation of inbound and outbound transport to Brazil. Thanks, Carly!

Officially, the Consulate General of Brazil requires the following documents from foreigners who wish to obtain a tourist visa: Passport with at least six months validity; Passport photo; Roundtrip ticket to Brazil; Proof of hotel reservation; and financial records, which may include bank statements and proof of earnings.

In practice, however, many of these documents are not actually necessary, at least not for citizens of the United States and Australia. When I went to apply for the visa, I brought a printed out copy of my bank statement and a HostelWorld email confirmation, both of which the attendant discarded after thumbing through them. I didn’t bring a copy of a ticket because I didn’t have one — I entered Brazil by land via Iguazú Falls. This wasn’t an issue.

When you complete the application form at the office, one detail is absolutely essential not to overlook is having a local phone number of some kind. This can be your hostel’s or even that of the person you hooked up with last night, but if you don’t have a phone number, the attendant turns you away.

Online Appointment for Brazil Visa

Don’t go to the Consulate and attempt to submit your documents until you select an appointment time online. The appointment selection interface is only available in Spanish, however, so read on if your español isn’t quite as bien as it needs to be.

After clicking the “Appointment Online” link, choose “Área de Visa Turista” from the “Seleccionar” drop-down menu. Then, hover your mouse over the calendar that sits on the right side of the page and click any date the appears green or yellow, which means that appointments are available.

Click on any green time slot listed under the date you want to apply for your visa, then input your email address, name, last name and a local phone number (use your hostel’s if you don’t have one of your own), in that order. Click “Guardar” to set your appointment time.

Directions to the Brazilian Consulate in Buenos Aires

The Consulate General of Brazil is located near Buenos Aires’ magnificent Avenida 9 de Julio, the oft-mentioned “widest road in the world.” Confusingly, it’s located very near the Brazilian Embassy, which is only for Brazilian citizens who require assistance. To avoid any confusion in getting to the Consulate, follow my directions exactly.

Descend into any Buenos Aires Subte station and get to the “General San Martín” station of Line C. Disembark the subway station and look around you until you see the Plaza itself, which looks something like this:

Take a left on the road you find yourself on, which is Avenida Santa Fe. Turn left at the first street corner which is confusingly also labeled Avenida Santa Fe. Make a right on the third street, Carlos Pellegrini, which flanks the eastern edge of 9 de Julio. Walk north for three blocks (until you pass Juncal) and the Consulate General’s Office is on your right, on the fifth floor of building number 1363.

Payment at Itaú Bank

After submitting your documents to the attendant, he presents you with a receipt with a scannable bar code. He also includes a handwritten chit that specifies the exact cost of the visa in Argentine pesos. You mean I don’t pay at the Consulate? Nope, you sure don’t.

Instead, exit the building and take a left onto Carlos Pelligrini. Stop at the first bank you see to withdraw the amount you need for your visa from a nearby ATM — it should be around 600 pesos, or $150 — then continue walking back to Avenida Santa Fe.

Take a left and walk one block until you see an orange, blue and yellow sign labeled “Itaú.” This is the Brazilian bank where you need to make payment for your visa. Hand the receipt to the attendant inside the bank and wait to be called up to a teller who takes your payment.

When Will My Brazil Visa Be Ready?

Return to the Office of the Consulate General at the time specified on the handwritten chit — usually sometime the next day — to pick up your passport, Brazilian visa ready to go.

Leave Your Daily Hell   Filed under: Brazil

is the author of 723 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. Robert founded Leave Your Daily Hell in 2010 so that other travelers would have an entertaining, reliable source of information, advice and inspiration at their fingertips. Want to travel more often? Subscribe to email updates today!

• Malaysia February 17-March 4
  • Singapore March 27-28
  • Middle East TBA April

Birthday quotes For Brothers January 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I got what you think, thanks for putting up. Woh I am cheerful to deed this website finished google. Thanks For Share Brazil Visa in Buenos Aires.

Steve May 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I kinda read the whole post twice, and am sorry if I missed it, but how long does it take to get the Visa? You mentioned this gives you an opportunity to go sight seeing for a few hours, is that how fast they do it?

Thanks

Robert Schrader May 31, 2012 at 8:26 am

The visa takes a day to process! You drop it off one day, pick it up the next day. I didn’t specify this in the article, but have amended it now.

Carly October 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

They now want you to complete the application form online and print it out BEFORE you go to the office

Carly October 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Also they denied me the visa for not having printed tickets there with me (I just had my flight confirmation numbers)

Robert Schrader October 20, 2012 at 1:26 am

Carly: This is good (albeit disappointing) information to have! I’ll update the post.

Ev October 21, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Was Carly eventually successful in attaining the visa? I am going to try the same thing on November 7th and pray that they can have it back to me on the 8th…

Robert Schrader October 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Well, Carly?

Carly October 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I am still trying. In a day of e-tickets I am having some difficulty finding something that looks enough like a ticket and not just a confirmation number (which they didn´t seem to understand is the actual ticket). I am going back this week and just hoping there is a less strict woman working the desk

Robert Schrader October 27, 2012 at 6:01 am

Carly, I wish you a lot of luck in getting your visa! Please let us know how it turns out!

Thegoldbergs December 22, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Hi, I had a big problem as I hold a Canadian passport. Best thing is o go to iguazu in Argentina. . Takes 24 hours no appointment needed. I did need my bank statement, ticket home from brazil, passport photos and completed on line application printed out. The man there was exceptionall nice. Good luck everyone!!

Robert Schrader December 24, 2012 at 7:33 am

That is very strange RE: the big problem — they were relatively cool when I went! Thanks for all the updates, everyone.

Unprepared traveler December 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hi thegoldbergs! I am currently in Buenos Aires and was supposed to fly to brazil this morning. Long story short – we were denied entry on to the flight because we did not have the visa stamp – poor planning on our part. Anyway, we were told due to the holiday tht we cant get a visa quickly due to the holiday. Can u please provide more info as to how u obtained it at the falls. We would be willing to fly there and spend a day. Thank u in advance for your help!!!

Hitchuuhaikaa January 10, 2013 at 7:41 am

I just got my visa here in B.A. (US Citizen) I made an appointment online and decided to wait since I have some time rather than travel up to iguazu and do it there and possibly receive a visa with a short validation (30 days). Anyhow, long story short, I went a few days early to the consulate and decided to ask about the documents required. I told the woman I wanted to be prepared for my appointment, which she replied, then you need two appointments! Kind of a soup nazi experience, anyhow, I had all of my documents and she went ahead and took my application. Turn around is the next business day, and you can only pick it up between 12 and 1PM. I suggest that other traveller’s have all the documents, be as prepared as you can ( do the visa application online), speak Spanish and kiss butt the best you can. Buen Viaje!

Marcelo January 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I would like to find someone from Brasil who is coming to Buenos aires and exchange pesos to reais. Due to ridiculous government policies, exchange control in Argentina works like in a communist country. I would like to exchange around 4000 pesos to reais and use the official exchange rate at the moment of exchanging the money. I’d rather spend my money in Brazil than spend the money in Argentina, but unfortunately the government does not allow me to exchange pesos to reais. Thank You! My email is marceloteise@hotmail.com

Robert Schrader January 12, 2013 at 11:50 am

Marcelo:

I will make a post on Facebook and Twitter to ask if someone might be able to help you. I hope I can be of assistance!

lynn May 20, 2013 at 5:43 pm

hola – just submitted applications for visas this AM, and expect to pick up tomorrow between 12-1. the required documentation was the printed out visa application form, the completed online application, and the bank statements (in addition to our passports). they did not look at our proof of hotel or inbound/outbound travel, although they did insist that we had phone numbers and addresses for our current abode and our planned Brazilian one. we were lucky to meet with the younger woman at line 5 (younger = forties) as the older woman (sixties?) seems a lot less flexible and understanding. appointments are available between 9-1:30; these times are not strict, as when we arrived for our 10am appt, we still waited in line and were at the window by 10:30am. hope this helps!

Gracie July 13, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Thanks so much for the info Robert! I’m curious if it’s possible to acquire a Brazilian passport while in Bolivia?

Gracie July 14, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Visa, a brazilian visa. I have a U.S. passport 🙂

Robert Schrader July 15, 2013 at 8:36 am

Absolutely then, Gracie! You can get your visa in La Paz, however, rather than Sucre.

j November 8, 2013 at 6:16 am

you need a bank statement. photo copy of credit card doesnt do it. thanks for all the info! helped a lot. ha a 10:45 appt. arrived at 10 and immediately saw someone. the bank is what took forever.

Chet November 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Wow man, thanks so much, I’ve been planning on spending a couple months in South America, but was totally at a loss on how to get into Brazil while I was down there. This is like the only blog post on the internet that had the info I needed.

Robert Schrader November 26, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Glad I could help! 🙂 Please check out more of my South America travel articles if you liked this one

Brittany February 1, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Hola! I’m an australian currently in the process of getting all my documents ready for my appointment (in a few days) for my brazilian visa in BA.
Your information has been great- so, first of all thank you!
I just have one question. Does any one know if we definitely pay for our visa after we hand in our documents at the embassy? On the application form online it states that the ‘payment’, which I’m assuming is the payment receipt should be with all your documents when you go to your appointment.
If any body has completed this process recently, I would appreciate any information.
Thank you!

Robert Schrader February 5, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Hi Brittany:

Sorry for taking a few days to get back to you – I hope this info is not “old news” by now. Basically, you submit your documents, then you go to the nearest branch of Itaú (a Brazilian bank) to pay. Consulate staff will direct you to it.

Joel April 18, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Thank you so much man! I’m leaving Australia in a few weeks and they told me I had to send my passport to Canberra to get a visa. Was pretty worried so glad to hear I can do it Buenos! Cheers 🙂

Robert Schrader April 19, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Buena suerte!

Neil May 1, 2014 at 7:23 am

Thanks! Just did this yesterday and all the info is still current. 2 additional things to point out: 1) if you have kids with you and are applying for visas for them as well, you will absolutely need copies of their birth certificates. 2) they are using an older rate for the pesos conversion, so it comes out to something like $230 per visa at the official rate!

Sherri May 1, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Thank you for this post. Very good information. I will definitely be saving this link to use when I get there!

Robert Schrader May 2, 2014 at 7:51 am

Cool!

Robert Schrader May 2, 2014 at 7:52 am

Thanks for the updates, Neil!

Sam June 17, 2014 at 2:35 am

Hola, I called the Canberra office today and they’ve said it would take minimum 15 days to process (online forums say it took over a month), and over that period I wouldn’t have access to my passport. Since I’m leaving in one month, I’ve decided -mostly due to this post and the comments below- that I’ll just get it in Argentina and save myself the anguish with the Canberra consulate. Really appreciate it Rob, additionally to the people who commented below!

Robert Schrader June 17, 2014 at 6:36 am

Sam:

I am so happy you’ve decided to get the visa in BsAs. Ain’t nobody got time for slow processing back home!

Chip June 27, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am going to Argentina solely to get into brazil for the World Cup fun. I have all required documentation. I am worried this might not work since its so crazy down there for the world cup. I followed the directions from Rob and I made my appointment. Seem too good to be true. I made the appointment at Consulado-Geral do Brasil em Buenos Aires – Carlos Pellegrini 1363 5` piso – C1011AAA. Is this the correct one? Please let me know as soon as possble. Pleeeeaaasssssseeeee…….. I plan on leaving July 5th 2014

Chip June 27, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Did this work. Which embassy did you go to? the one i found in Buenos Aires is Consulado-Geral do Brasil em Buenos Aires – Carlos Pellegrini 1363 5` piso – C1011AAA. is this correct?

Robert Schrader June 29, 2014 at 6:30 am

Chip June 29, 2014 at 1:20 pm

When is the last time you have heard it worked? Last post was 1 year ago I am worried the embassy’s have implemented new rules because of the world cup. Your reply is much appreciated

Robert Schrader July 2, 2014 at 4:11 pm

If anything, getting your visa will be easier due to the World Cup!

Hugh July 4, 2014 at 12:35 am

Hey just want to confirm this still works. I’m an Australian that due to disorganisation has left it too late to get my Visa over here, due to the 15 day processing time.
Plan to be in Argentina around November

Robert Schrader July 5, 2014 at 8:16 am

Hi Hugh:

It should still work, but I recommend going to the Consulate the day you arrive in BA to make sure.