Brazil flag

How to Get a Brazil Tourist Visa in Lima

This is a guest post from Laura Yates, a misplaced Midwesterner currently living in Lima, Peru. When Laura isn’t traveling she works for SA Luxury Expeditions, a travel company specializing in Machu Picchu tours and personalized South America vacations. Interest in guest blogging for Leave Your Daily Hell in exchange for a link to the blog? Shoot me an email and let’s talk!

Traveling through South America is usually fairly easy. The people are welcoming, costs are reasonable, and when you use your common sense, most destinations are fairly safe. The only hiccup? Visas.

If you travel on an US, Canadian, or Australian passport (in addition to others), several countries are going to charge you tourist entry fees. Sometimes you can evade the fee by traveling over land (a neat trick to avoid paying when you enter Chile and Argentina), but Brazil is relentless. If you want to visit, you need to arrange, and pay for, your Brazil tourist visa ahead of time. No way around it.

And since Machu Picchu is a major notch on the typical vagabond’s belt, it isn’t unlikely you’ll find yourself in Peru at some point during your South America travels. And if the beaches of Brazil are tempting you eastward, here is how you can get your Brazil tourist visa while in Lima, Peru.

Need help planning your trip to South America? Hire me as your Travel Coach!

Brazil Visa Prep

Before heading to the Brazil Embassy, make sure you have your documents in order. The first step is finding a computer with a printer to access the online Brazil tourist visa request form.

Conveniently written in English, the site requires you to enter your basic personal information (name, date of birth, nationality, etc.); your passport information; your occupation details (profession, work place, address, phone number, etc.); and your permanent address, current address, and address in Brazil. For the last part, you can use the name of a hotel you plan to stay at during your time in Brazil. You’ll also need to estimate your total travel within the country.

When you finish, you’ll need to click “submit” and print the form.

Required Documents

The online visa request form has a list of what you’ll need to obtain a visa. However, when I went to the Brazil Embassy in Lima they handed me an additional piece of paper that stipulated what they require.

The exact list of what the Embassy of Brazil in Lima requires for a tourist visa: passport valid for at least six months from your intended arrival in Brazil, visa application form with recent passport-sized photo attached to the middle of the form, copy of round-trip ticket or copy of travel itinerary, copy and original of your credit card.

Oh, and the $140 USD to pay for the actual visa.

And, just to make things tricky, the final item on the Embassy’s list of requirements for obtaining a tourist visa: “Other documents, as demanded by the Consular Officer.”

Luckily, when I went in late 2011 to get my visa, I was not asked for any other forms. But here are a few tips to make sure the process runs smoothly: your passport photo needs to be taken on a white background and you should have a neutral expression on your face; you only need the front part of your credit card photocopied (although I brought the back part with me on a separate copy just in case they asked); you don’t need a copy of your passport (they take the original); if you have roundtrip plane tickets you do not need an itinerary.

Handing in Your Papers

The Brazil Embassy in Lima is open to process visa requests from 8am-12pm Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). You do not need an appointment to visit, but the earlier you get there the better. The building is located on Avenida Jose Parado 850 in Miraflores.
For travelers who have spent at least a day in Lima, the easiest way to find the Embassy is to start at the tip of Parque Kennedy where the McDonalds is (trust me, you can’t miss it) and head down the main street Jose Parado toward the ocean. The Embassy is located about 7 blocks down the street on the right-hand side, soon after you pass the main street Comandante Espinar.

Simply walk in the front door of the Embassy, tell the guard you want a tourist visa, sign in with your name and passport information, and allow yourself to be shuffled through a musical chair-esque rotation to the main office window.

After handing in all your documents, you’ll be given a little slip of paper and told to pay your $140 fee (or other amount stipulated by your nationality) at the bank.

Paying the Fee

Just in case you didn’t enjoy your walk down Jose Parado the first time, you get to walk back up the street to the HSBC bank to pay your visa fee. The process is pretty simple—except when the consulate gives you the wrong amount to pay. Like they did with me. Which would then require two trips to the bank rather than one. So take it from me: If you are American, you MUST pay $140. There are no exceptions, and if you’re told differently or given a different amount to pay, just point out your passport again and insist.

The bank is located on Jose Pardo 269, back up the street toward where you originally started. It will be on the right-hand side of the street next to a delicious-smelling barbeque restaurant. Simply wait until an attendant is available, hand over the slip of paper you were given along with the required amount of cash in US dollars and show a photo ID. Don’t worry if you don’t speak Spanish; this bank sees a lot of visa payment forms and knows what to do.

In return, you’ll be given a receipt. Return to the Embassy and wait in line again to turn in the proof of payment. If you’ve paid the proper amount, you’ll get a piece of paper with the date you can return to pick up your passport (which they hold on to) and your brand new Brazil tourist visa. Allow at least five business days for processing.

Leave Your Daily Hell   Filed under: Brazil

is the author of 3 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. This post is a guest post. Interested in promoting your product, service or destination via Leave Your Daily Hell? Visit the Media page to learn more.

• Sukhothai, Thailand May 26-29
  • Phnom Penh, Cambodia June 9-12
  • Chiang Mai, Thailand June 23-26
  • Padang, Indonesia July 7-10

HDog February 7, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Anyone know if you can go to the HSBC bank first and pay the amount. Then go straight to the embassy with EVERYTHING at one time??

Robert Schrader February 9, 2013 at 2:16 am

I think you have to go to the embassy first, because HSBC won’t have a transaction record until you have filed the paperwork for the visa.

Siouxzie Lewis February 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Wish I’d found this yesterday. Note that for Canadians the cost is $65 and for Australians $35

Siouxzie Lewis February 13, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I did this morning which is why I put up the info of different costs-but you need to get the bank account details so unless you have that you won’t be able to pay-unless they put these details on the web

Robert Schrader February 14, 2013 at 1:38 am

Thanks for the update on info, Souxzie! Sorry you didn’t see the article yesterday.

villa girona February 15, 2013 at 6:00 am

I am also looking for the exactly this type of information. Her i really got a good information on this topic..I would be really helpful for me also..

Philiprussell28 February 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Hi,
I would like to thank you for this information. It made it a walk in the park, from someone who does not speak the language this was so helpful, it will take now 6 working days to get a visa.
Regards Phil

Robert Schrader March 1, 2013 at 12:53 am

Awesome Phil! Glad we could help.

Snakes December 4, 2013 at 4:37 pm

How long did the process take to obtain the visa in Lima? As we will have limited time in Peru, too late to obtain visas from Sydney #@#$%%**#

Robert Schrader December 13, 2013 at 7:03 am

Hi Snakes: It doesn’t take too long, maybe 2-3 days.

Medora January 11, 2014 at 9:12 pm

What about the Yellow Fever Vaccination papers?

Robert Schrader January 12, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I have never been asked for those!

Medora January 15, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Yea, I kept seeing different things. Ah, OK and I just found information saying that as of May 2010 that the vaccination was no longer required.

Robert Schrader January 16, 2014 at 9:19 am

Interesting. Thanks for the update!

@wyattgallery September 4, 2014 at 5:15 pm

the cost is now $160us for americans and the bank is on the opposite corner. you also need the last 3 months of bank statements. 5 workings days to receive the visa back. no options for emergency or expedited visas. you also need 4 blank pages in your passport.

Robert Schrader September 7, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for the update!

visaforvietnam March 23, 2015 at 6:53 am

Good post with each and every information regarding applying visa.

Caroline Ve June 22, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Has anyone had any luck in obtaining the visa in one day in Lima? I have a very limited time in Lima. I do plan on going to Buenos Aires, should I wait until I get there to apply? I would probably have an itenerary for Brazil as well, something I do not have now; I will have a better idea of when I’ll be in Brazil by the time I get to Buenos Aires. But I also do not want to make the mistake of waiting even more and miss the chance of obtaining a Visa. Feedback is appreciated. Thank you

Adele June 23, 2015 at 6:37 am

Hi Caroline,
Did you find out anything? I am in a similar situation.. now in Cusco, hoping to go to Bolivia then Brazil and just realized how challenging this might be. Any advice on expediting? Thanks..

Taryn Kiyomi July 21, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Hi Robert, just a quick question, what if you don’t have a round-trip ticket like you said? I was hoping to buy a one way ticket to South America, although I am reading a lot about having onward tickets and ways to get around this. How detailed of a travel itinerary do these places need generally? Thanks.

Robert Schrader July 26, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Hi Taryn:

You simply need to have a ticket out of Brazil. You could simply by a refundable one-way ticket from Brazil to a neighboring country, then refund it once your visa is approved.

paul ryen November 5, 2015 at 11:14 am

Is there a place near the embassy to get an extra photo since I didn’t bring an extra along? Or a printer to fill out forms and print them?

Robert Schrader November 6, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I don’t know about near the embassy, but you can definitely find both of these things in Lima.

Gen December 15, 2015 at 6:16 pm

This was very helpful. Can anyone confirm if the price is still $160 or if its gone up since last year? Do they still require 3 months of bank statements? Also, just to be clear I have to buy my plane ticket to Brazil first before I get the Visa or do I need my plane ticket to Brazil and to back home in the states first?

Robert Schrader December 16, 2015 at 6:06 am

I am not sure of the price, to be honest…this was a guest post. As far as bank statements I doubt they’ll actually ask, but I’d bring them. For plane tickets, one thing you could do is buy refundable ones, get your visa, then get a refund on the tickets.

Mary Calhoun February 1, 2016 at 9:31 am

Hey, thanks for this information! Super helpful. 🙂

Does anyone know if you can mail your application to the embassy in Lima instead of actually going there in person? I’m currently living in Cusco and really trying to avoid having to pay for a plane ticket out there just to turn in some paperwork. Thanks in advance!

Robert Schrader February 8, 2016 at 8:12 am

I think you need to go there, considering you also have to drop off your passport at the same time…

Alice February 25, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Hi all! Just wanted to provide a more recent update (Feb 2016) for anyone else who was searching for this info. I’m a US citizen and went to the embassy today to apply for a Brazil tourist visa. I don’t know what the minimum docs you “need” are, but I brought everything listed on the website (lima.itamaraty.gov.br/es-es/): confirmation of my application, copy of my credit card (front/back), past three months of bank statements, work contract, RT itinerary. I went around 11am on a Thursday (visa applications are only processed until 12pm), and they gave me a slip of paper to pay the $160 USD fee at the BBVA Continental bank on the opposite corner of the intersection. Came back w/ the receipt, and all was good. All done within 30-45 minutes! The visa will be ready for pickup within ONE WEEK (7 days) from today when I dropped it off. Hope this is helpful!

Ishan May 3, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Does anyone know if the consulate in Cusco issues visas?

Robert Schrader May 10, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I don’t believe they do…

People_Analyzer June 1, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Thank you for this valuable information!