Paisa Sky apartment Medellín

My First Experience With Roomorama

A few weeks ago, I received a proposition that was hard to pass up. In exchange for a post reviewing Roomorama, an online service that allows travelers to book private apartment accommodation in cities and regions all around the world, I would receive enough credit for several free nights in the Roomorama property of my choice.

Knowing that I would be hostel-wary after three weeks, I purposely waited until the end of my Colombia trip (when I was in the ultra-modern city of Medellín) to use my credit. If you’re considering staying in a Roomorama property when you travel abroad, read this post to learn about some of the pros and cons of using the service.

Roomorama Booking Process

The Roomorama Booking Process is extremely easy. From Roomorama’s home page, you simply search for the city where you want to book a stay. Or, if you have a property in mind the name of the property.

Once you have browsed through available properties and found one you like, submit an inquiry for your desired dates of travel. After the host confirms availability, the inquiry becomes a booking, with a unique booking number. Submit your payment details to make the booking final.

What If I Don’t Like My Apartment?

The first Medellín apartment I booked was called “Suites for Rent.” I was attracted by the property’s photos and description, the purportedly central location and the price of just $40 per night. Once I knew the apartment was available, I confirmed the booking.

Upon my arrival at the “suite,” however, I was horrified. Not only did my dark, dirty room not at all match the picture that had been posted, it smelled like a wet dog. Furthermore, the apartment lacked Wi-Fi, which is a necessity for me as a travel blogger.

Although the owner Max was friendly as he attempted to resolve the Wi-Fi issues, I quickly realized I had no choice but to stay elsewhere. I arrived in the middle of the night, so I simply booked a private room in a nearby hostel.

Simultaneously I fired off an email to Roomorama support. To my delight, my email had not only been answered by morning, by my booking credit was reinstated. I booked a second Medellín-area apartment and crossed my fingers that it would be satisfactory.

What If I Love My Apartment?

I was delighted upon arriving at Paisa Sky, the name given to the several apartments that occupy the top two floors of The Caracas Building in downtown Medellín. The property was just as it had appeared on Roomorama!

In the event that you are satisfied with your Roomorama apartment, you must provide the host with the six-digit “Payment Code” from your online booking. Until you do this, the host cannot be paid.

Not only were my bedroom and bathroom spacious and clean, but I had my own private balcony that overlooked the northern part of Medellín. Brigitte, the host, was extremely personable, and offered me the beverage of my choice upon my arrival.

The next morning, I had a freshly-prepared breakfast of fruit, yogurt, meat, cheese, bread and scrambled eggs. I enjoyed a cup of black Colombian coffee while I waited; I had a cafe con leche with my delicious meal.

My only gripe with Paisa Sky — well, not my only one, but I’ll get to that in a minute — was that the hot water in the shower lasted literally less than a minute. That and the Internet, although technically functional, was rather slow.

My One Gripe With Roomorama

Roomorama is really just a service; they neither own nor regulate any of their properties. As a result, my main criticism of Roomorama is that the circumstances of your actual stay depend entirely on your host, over whose behavior and policies Roomorama has no control.

Although my room at Paisa Sky was comfortable and Brigitte, the host, was friendly, I was not allowed to invite guests to my room for “security reasons.” One of the primary reasons I wanted to stay in a private room was, let’s face it, so that I could invite a hot guy or two over at night — the fact that Paisa Sky barred me from doing so has made me reticent to book a Roomorama property again.

If you’re considering booking a Roomorama apartment, make sure and ask the host all the questions have prior to completing your booking. That way, you won’t have any unpleasant surprises when you arrive.

is the author of 714 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. Robert founded Leave Your Daily Hell in 2010 so that other travelers would have an entertaining, reliable source of information, advice and inspiration at their fingertips. Want to travel more often? Subscribe to email updates today!

• Russia January 19-28
  • Yunnan, China February 19-March 4
  • Iran April 5-22

Aline Milanez January 16, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Hello Robert..My name is Aline, I’m from Sao Paulo – Brasil and I’m planning to spend the new years eve with my family in NY..
I’m searching for an apartment to stay, I took a look ar Airbnb, a friend of mine booked an apartment there and it was ok, the site is reliable in the item payment, which guarantees that the host will not rent an apartment that does not exist. If perchance it happens, you have your money back.
The Problem is that I want to book now the apartment toguarantee the booking for the end of the year and lots of hosts doesn’t want to do this..
I found The roomorama..There are several apartments whose hosts accept book so far in advance. My question is: do you have any information, if the site is reliable with respect to the payment we make? Is there a guarantee, if the owner has made ​​a false advertising?
Thank you!!
Aline

John June 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Just to add my 2$’s worth… There are other issues with Roomorama. Mainly the website interface, which Is so intent on guarding the communication between the host and the client that it only allows you to send one enquiry (so, you better think hard the first time!). Secondly, often the prices are different between the advertised one and the one on the price at the end of the process….and dont forget Roomorama charge a fee too (obviously) which they dont seem to include in the advertised price. Also, I found that if you havent used the site in a while (in my case a year) it locks you out, sending you to a ‘reactivation’ page, which never allows you to access your bookings…basically an I.T. mess up, but one which alienates half of their customers (Ive tried to explain it to them, but they dont seem to care). Thirdly there is no options for more complex bookings (for instance, if you want to book a single for 3 nights and a double for 3….etc) you will have to make 2 seperate bookings, costing you 2 roomorama fees. Its ok, if you can be bothered with the whole thing, but it sounds like you had a Roomorama-sponsored trip, which is bound to be ideal, and well organised. I hate this sort of cronyism, because its not providing a balanced and unbiased opinion, its about them paying you off to say good things about them, and thats NOT GOOD TRAVEL JOURNALISM is it sir ?

Citizen Kane October 4, 2013 at 8:35 am

Ok, So I am confused by your post. It seems you are writing under the auspice of “objective” blogging, journaling or whatever it is you are calling your “review”. Under any premise, how is taking money/credits from the company you are allegedly reviewing, anything but unethical from a journalistic/consumer advocacy stand point. I mean you think you may have gotten preferential treatment from the company paying for your trip…..Uh “blogging” should still have some aspect of integrity….you seem to have overlooked that in your post.

Citizen Kane October 4, 2013 at 8:40 am

Moving past the issues I have with the integrity of this post, I too have had major issues with Roomorama has a host. They are nowhere near as comprehensive as Airbnb. They offer no protection to either the guest or host in the event of theft, damage etc. I sent them emails regarding issues with potential guests, and it took days for them to get back to me. No way in hell am I having some blank profile staying at one of my properties. Bad for the guest and the host. They want you to collect deposits from guests directly… Yeah you heard right…private properties are supposed to collect a cash depsosit….uh you want to hand $1.5k over to a stranger….really shady concept….stear clear of roomorama in my opinion.

Citizen Kane October 4, 2013 at 8:44 am

I have had an account for a year and I can tell you with confidence they are anything but reliable. You have no recourse if you have an emergency that requires immediate attention. Try airbnb, I have hosted and traveled with them…they insure you and they have 24 hour live customer service. I don’t mean to sound like a hack, but I really have had repetitive bad experiences with RR.

Val November 19, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Least reliable service ever! A friend of mine rented an apartment and the host didn’t give her her $500-security deposit back. Roomorama took more than two weeks to give her the stupidest answer ever: I have consulted with my manager, and she has agreed to offer you 50% of the Roomorama fee as credit that you may use for a future booking. Yes, as if someone would use their terrible service again!!

Robert Schrader November 21, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I’m sorry that you had this experience, Val!

Tanara Ev June 3, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Unfornately I don’t have good thiings
to say! People don’t trust roomorama, they really let me in trouble
in Miami, I booked a room 2 months in advance in South Miami Beach,
they charged it on my credit card US$534,00 for an apartment rental
in South Miami Beach, amazing price, but the problem was that in the
day that I was suppose to check in I got an email from roomorama some
some hours before the check inn saying that the apartment was not
available anymore? Excuse me? I came from Brazil after 12 hours
flying I check my email and it was like a bomb!!! Imagine my
situation, then I started to call roomorama and nobody answered!! So
I called to the apartment owner and he just said the apartment was
not ready and offer me another one that was dirty and uggly terrible,
not even my dog would sleep there!!! I didn’t get any assistance
from roomorama they let me in the streets I tried to get a hotel for
that night but all the hotels were fully booked so guess what? I
sleet in a park buy the moonlight me and my moom she is elderly
imagine my situation!!! In the other day I found a hotel but the cost
was 3 times more than what I paid for roomorama. Toomorama just
replied my email many days before saying that they have made a refund
in my credit card but ir came just afetre a week!! I trip to Miami
has a disater because of roomorama i had to sleep in the street, I
spent a lot of money, exactely it was a waste of money because of
roomorama. For this people don’t use this website to book your
vacation, they will take your money, I will have no apartment to stay
and your trip will cost much more than you could ever dream!! Be
aware!!!

Robert Schrader June 4, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Thanks for the perspective!

Frauke June 18, 2014 at 9:15 pm

We booked a studio for three days in Miami, received a confirmation from Roomorama, spoke with the owner on the phone (when we left, two hours before arrival, one hour before arrival, and upon arrival – all according to his request), and drove five hours to the apartment. We were let in by housekeeping, and asked her to show us where the kayaks and hot tub were and how to work the TV (to watch the World Cup). She told us that there were no kayaks, and that the hot tub and TV were broken. The owner then called us and told us that he was canceling our stay and that we should find somewhere else to go. He refused to give us another place to stay even though he has 142 properties in the area and many of them were vacant and he would not help us find another place. We were stuck in Miami with two small children, all of our food for three days needing a refrigerator. We called and emailed Roomorama and have yet to get a response! I had great success with Airbnb and with their customer service but I would never think of trying or recommending Roomorama again!!

Frauke June 18, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I wish I had read this post sooner! We had a similar experience in Miami – the owner’s name was Jon….We booked a studio for three days in Miami, received a confirmation from Roomorama, spoke with the owner on the phone (when we left, two hours before arrival, one hour before arrival, and upon arrival – all according to his request), and drove five hours to the apartment. We were let in by housekeeping, and asked her to show us where the kayaks and hot tub were and how to work the TV (to watch the World Cup). She told us that there were no kayaks, and that the hot tub and TV were broken. The owner then called us and told us that he was canceling our stay and that we should find somewhere else to go. He refused to give us another place to stay even though he has 142 properties in the area and many of them were vacant and he would not help us find another place. We were stuck in Miami with two small children, all of our food for three days needing a refrigerator – what a mess!!

Robert Schrader June 19, 2014 at 6:46 am

OMG! That is horrible!

Damian Thorman June 19, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I understand why Roomaroma might be eager to have positive reviews. I had a terrible experience with them recently that I truly find hard to believe. I found a great place listed on their website and booked it. I later found out it was a scam. I asked for their help to stop the payment and to track down the fraud that had posted on their site but after a dozen emails I still have no response.

Robert Schrader June 23, 2014 at 8:04 am

Eek!

sangriastainedlips July 6, 2014 at 1:32 pm

This is incredibly helpful I’m using it to book a apartment for 3 in Madrid and I was wanted a little research prior to just giving them my card number. I appreciate this post so much.

Robert Schrader July 7, 2014 at 5:30 am

Love your screen name!

MaxOutlet July 23, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Never use Roomorama, first they show you interesting prices, which go up as soon as you try to book, then they add a ridiculous commission (69 USD) and then when you are almost ready charge a processing fee, which is 49 USD, for what?! Stay away from Roomorama and spend the commission and processing fee on two nights in a nice hotel!

Robert Schrader July 24, 2014 at 8:44 am

LOL

Auberge Abdoull October 11, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Roomorama are the biggest stealers ever ,
im the owner of few properties in that website and they don’t pay me after the customers are leave , ( 110 $ + 90 $ )

Auberge Abdoull October 11, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Roomorama are the biggest stealers ever ,

no good to book

Auberge Abdoull October 11, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Roomorama are the biggest stealers ever ,

no good for your holidays , Never use Roomorama,

Auberge Abdoull October 11, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Never use Roomorama,

Roomorama are the biggest stealers ever ,

John August 23, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Roomorama are big assholes

John August 23, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Air bnb should be put in prison for tax fraud they are not paying tax in the countries they are renting out homes in
they are so fucking expensive 100 $ or more for one day that is robbery not renting they should be put on prison Guantanamo for the rest of there life

John August 23, 2015 at 9:50 pm

yes Roomorama they should be put in prison and wopped

John August 23, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Roomorama are idiots they are talking about their shit security system
they say if you sync the calender as a host that shall prove that the home exist
that is bullshit it does not prove anything
they don´t care if the renting out homes are scam fraud homes
i tried to be a host and proved to the them that property existed from many people
but it was imposable
Roomorama only wan´t scam fraud homes they are big criminals and should be put in prison

John August 23, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Yes Roomorama should be put in prison for the rest of there life and wopped hard

John August 23, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Airbnb are big fucking assholes i was a host and a guest booked a apartment and they paid directly Airbnb kicked me out as host
and what happen to guest i don´t know
I got the money i tried to contact Airbnb and i was very angry and they did not answer
Airbnb should be put in prison for fraud