Extra pages in U.S. passport

How to Add Pages to a U.S. Passport

BAD NEWS: As of 2016, the Department of State will no longer add pages to old passports. I’m happy I could help as many of you as I could while this was possible!

After my first trip to Southeast Asia in early 2010, I knew more extensive international travel would be in my future. My passport didn’t seem quite as sure — all but four of its 21 pages had at least one stamp on them.

Initially I panicked, fearful that I would have to replace my passport after only five years of use. Thankfully, a young man I met on the train from Thailand to Cambodia had let me in on a little secret: It’s possible to add extra pages to your U.S. passport, rather than replacing it outright. I was thrilled — nothing screams “amateur” like a shiny, new passport.

If you travel frequently and are running out of room in your U.S. passport, have pages added to it to maintain your travel street cred.

Get your passport, then let me plan your trip

Required Documents to Adding Extra Passport Pages

The first condition of having pages added to your U.S. passport is that the passport is, you know, full. The State Department defines this as between two and four remaining visa pages. The passport should also be in relatively good condition. Not new, but also not ripped or mangled either.

If your passport meet these basic requirements, download and print form D.S.-4085 “Application for Additional Visa Pages” from the Travel.State.Gov website and fill it out as completely as possible.

Adding Pages to a Passport at a U.S. Embassy Abroad

Since I was living in Shanghai at the time I needed to have pages added to my passport, I made an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Shanghai, whose staff added extra pages to my passport while I waited. If you’re living or traveling abroad, consult this page to find your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

The only disadvantage of having the pages added this way is that the literally tape the pages into your passport, which makes for an unattractive addition. Of course, if your passport is already tore the F up like mine, this won’t matter to you.

Add Extra U.S. Passport Pages by Mail

If you’re at home in the states, add extra pages to your U.S. passport by mail. Once you fill out form D.S.-4085, send your passport, the completed form, and a check or money order for the current fee to the following address:

National Passport Processing Center
P.O. Box 90106
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0106

Officially, processing times for adding pages to a U.S. passport are the same as for the passport itself — around 4-6 weeks without expedited handling. As a general rule, mail your package off as far in advance of travel as possible to avoid complications. Or, pay $60 extra and mail the passport and form to this address:

Expedited Processing
National Passport Processing Center
P.O. Box 90906
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0906

Cost and Limitations

The reason I saved the cost section for last is that it’s variable. For example, I didn’t get charged a cent to add pages to my passport in Shanghai, whereas other U.S. embassies abroad definitely charge. By mail, you’ll pay $82 as of December 2011. For the cost at this moment, consult the “Passport Fees” page on the Department of State’s website.

Officially, you can only have pages added one time, although I have heard that it’s actually possible to add them twice. I’ll let you know if this is case — I’m seriously considering having some extra pages added before my trip to Australia at the end of next month.

is the author of 780 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. Robert founded Leave Your Daily Hell in 2010 so that other travelers would have an entertaining, reliable source of information, advice and inspiration at their fingertips. Want to travel more often? Subscribe to email updates today!

• Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand September 1-4
  • Iran September 29-October 17
  • Maldives November 15-22
  • USA December 14- January 4
  • Seoul, South Korea January 5-7
  • Okinawa, Japan February 2-5

Kaylynn Giannini January 15, 2012 at 7:18 am

I really like and appreciate your post.Really looking forward to read more. Cool.

Chachy February 23, 2012 at 12:58 am

Thanks for the info! I also live in Shanghai and have run out of pages. It’s good to know I don’t have to wait 5 weeks for the pages and processing!

Robert Schrader February 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Yeah, the Embassy does it for you very quickly in Shanghai. Do you know where Plaza 66 is? The embassy is very near there.

Julia April 4, 2012 at 8:51 am

Ugh, I had to get pages added in London in the AWFUL US embassy… hours of waiting, all electronics confiscated, left out in the snow for a while, and THEN $82. A freaking racket.

Robert Schrader April 4, 2012 at 8:54 am

Ugh, that sucks. I just mailed mine in this time. The Shanghai embassy was so great and free! It doesn’t surprise me that the London Embassy was awful. I unfortunately consider most things in that city to be awful. P.S. I’ll be sending you my guest post within the hour!

Jeremy May 9, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Just discovered this post. Thanks for that! I am going to try and get more pages in my passport next year, but I have a feeling it’ll be a hard sell considering I’ll have more than 2 pages in my passport available…

Robert Schrader May 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Not at all! I had four this past time.

Katy June 7, 2012 at 1:45 am

Thanks for this info! I was checking all the government links and couldn’t find a straight-forward answer on the extra visa pages while living abroad. Your blog answered my question easily! Cheers!

Robert Schrader June 7, 2012 at 8:15 am

You’re very welcome! Please do continue reading my blog for more helpful advice.

Ang Uy July 18, 2012 at 4:14 am

Thanks for the info Robert. I was able to add pages in 2008 for free in Malawi. Hoping I can do it again at no cost in Chiang Mai

Adam Bryant January 7, 2013 at 4:47 pm

this was super helpful! thank you!

Robert Schrader January 8, 2013 at 8:06 am

You’re welcome! Please tell all your friends who travel about my blog!

Lorene April 17, 2013 at 10:13 am

What did you find out about adding pages more than once to your passport?

Robert Schrader April 17, 2013 at 10:43 am

That it is possible!

Craig May 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Do you happen to know how many new pages you get if you add pages to your passport by mail in the U.S.? Thanks for the helpful post!

Robert Schrader May 7, 2013 at 7:49 am

Hi Craig, I believe it is 24!

Angelo Dinoto Amrtamsa Das May 20, 2013 at 11:40 pm

so you paid nothing to add new pages in shanghai. what about a list of costs in other cities. i.e. Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta

Robert Schrader May 21, 2013 at 7:48 am
Paul Irish August 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I asked and here’s what I heard back:

You can add 24 or 48 visa pages. Please select the 48 page option only if you prefer to add 48 visa pages in lieu of the standard 24 extra pages to your passport book. The larger book is appropriate for those who anticipate very frequent travel abroad during the passport validity period and is recommended for applicants who have required the addition of visa pages in the past.

Routine visa page service is $82. Currently, routine applications are being processed in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application. Expedited visa page service costs an additional $60 and should be returned to you within 2 to 3 weeks. To add visa pages to your current passport, you must use form DS-4085.

Joseph Otter November 13, 2014 at 7:44 am

How did you get the pages added while you waited? Lot’s of other people/sources say it takes 4-6 weeks.

Joseph Otter November 13, 2014 at 9:01 am

Oh, ok. Correct me if I’m wrong but the 4-6 week wait is only for those who’re applying from within the United States? Otherwise it’ll be taken care of during your appointment?

Richelle January 23, 2015 at 8:32 am

I’m so glad I found this. I only have one page in my passport left and I’m living near Shanghai! Can I ask how you went about making the appointment and how long it took? I’m having a hard time finding information online. It would be great to do it on my way to Thailand since I’m flying out of Pudong.

OneWorldOneYear.com February 11, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Thanks for the pointers. Need some now in Cambodia.

Robert Schrader February 16, 2015 at 7:06 am

Good luck!

Laura December 22, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I was going to apply because I will be traveling a lot more in the next few years and wanted to get pages before they stop issuing additional pages as of 1/1/2016, but I wasn’t aware of the “passport must be almost full” requirement, does it say it on the website? I may have missed it