30 Pictures That Will Make You Want to Visit Finland

30 Pictures That Will Make You Want to Visit Finland

“Finland is boring when there isn’t snow on the ground,” a Facebook friend warned me upon my jubilant check-in at Rovaniemi, the main airport serving the Finland’s northern Lapland region. “Autumn is a boring time of year in Finland.”

His statement annoyed me, mainly because a cardinal travel rule of mine is never to rain on anyone else’s parade, even if they’re traveling in your least favorite place in the world. Moreover, as my friend Antti and I made our way through the Lappish forest toward a village that proudly describes itself as the “middle of nowhere,” I could see with my own eyes that my well-meaning friend was full of shit – the forest was literally on fire! OK, not literally.

Anyway, my entire experience in Lapland was like something out of a fairytale: Building a fire and camping on my own land; hiking through and spending a night on a reindeer preserve; and exploring a remote landscape near the Russian border that seemed like Narnia, but on the moon. When I add my time in the impossibly charming Finnish capital of Helsinki – and a boat trip through an adjacent archipelago with two long-lost travel friends – to the mix, Finland in autumn may very well go down as my favorite travel experience of all time.

Boring? I’ll have to ask my friend which planet he calls home.

is the author of 711 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. Robert founded Leave Your Daily Hell in 2010 so that other travelers would have an entertaining, reliable source of information, advice and inspiration at their fingertips. Want to travel more often? Subscribe to email updates today!

• Russia January 19-28
  • Yunnan, China February 19-March 4
  • Iran April 5-22

Robert Schrader November 4, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I am so happy to hear that, Pickles!

xtr November 5, 2014 at 8:01 am

I love your pictures and I love Finland (I’ve been living in Tampere for 2 years). You have captured the essentials, nice people, amazing landscapes, and peace everywhere… the best memories of my life!

Robert Schrader November 6, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Aw, thank you!

Chicagoexpresslimo November 9, 2014 at 4:14 am

your cliks are really amazing, thanks for sharing with us

Fritz November 13, 2014 at 1:38 pm

HIGH QUALITY MARIJUANA,Purple Haze, Purple Kush, OG Kush AND OTHERS FOR SALE ! (fritzrud575@gmail.com)

SPECIFICATION AND DESCRIPTION OF OUR PRODUCT: The main attraction for our products is the ‘HIGH’ it gives, which is a great experience all around trim rate in my opinion is 8/10. The high is a 9/10. It starts with intense mental stimulation, giddiness and euphoria. The energetic buzz is later met with a mellowed physical high that is very relaxing. Some have reported a “spacey” high as well, leading to high creativity and thought dissociation. It is overall an intense high that will last a few hours. The combination of sativa and indica gives you an all-around positive experience suited to all different tastes. OUR DELIVERY IS FAST , SAFE AND RELIABLE. (FACE 2 FACE DELIVERY OF PACKAGE) 0% Risk .. NO REGRET AFTER PURCHASE

Amelya Melody Widodo November 13, 2014 at 10:49 pm

OMG!!! its the biggest dream of me to visit Finland!!! I wanna see AURORA BOREALIS in live!Did you see Aurora Borealis??? Omg!you are lucky… very lucky Robert!

Adam November 14, 2014 at 3:58 am

This would be such a cool experience to try out! Still haven’t made it to Finland, but when I do I’ll make sure to try this out.

Väinämöinen February 26, 2015 at 8:37 am

Awesome photos! Makes me proud of my country! You have find beauty of the nature, simple things and different view points. Well done mate! I am living in Arctic Circle in Santa’s neighborhood. Can’t be naughty at all :-)! But still I dare to say, in my opinion, if you look for the best and undisturbed area of Finland…it’s North Carelia! Maybe the next 30 wonderful photos of yours comes there. Finland has room for everyone! You’re all warmly welcome!

Robert Schrader February 27, 2015 at 6:12 am

Thank you! I can’t wait to return.

anonymous January 4, 2016 at 12:52 pm

I am so happy that you liked it here. I hate how barely anyone knows about how amazing Finland really is.

Robert Schrader January 6, 2016 at 11:20 am

It’s our little secret 🙂

Vincent April 12, 2016 at 8:59 am

Wow, this country is really beautiful, hopeful i will visit it someday…

Robert Schrader May 2, 2016 at 7:01 am

Me too!

Sxybomb May 19, 2016 at 7:19 pm

So happy to have family in the south, south east and northern ostrobothnia as well as a cousin in Lapland. Have not been to Lapland looks nice but Finland is beautiful despite not having many high mountains if you can even call them mountains! Reindeer is delicious as well I miss the food.

Sxybomb May 19, 2016 at 7:20 pm

It’s how I feel all the time haha!

Sxybomb May 19, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Finnish people are just happier in the summer for sure (: