Holding Hands

Date a Boy Who Travels – But Read This First

Last week, I happened upon a delightful blog post called “Date a Boy Who Travels.” The post, which I later learned was in response to a similar one published last year, is a whimsical instruction manual that lays out how – and why – to date boys who travel.

I loved this article for many reasons, but most of all because it provides a perspective on boys who travel I’ve never really gotten, always being the boy who travels, never the one who dates him.

When you see something beautiful, he will hold your hand in silence, in awe of the history of where his feet stand, and the fact that you’re with him. He will live in every moment with you, because this is how he lives his life.

My most recent stint as the traveling-boy-you-date illustrates the poetry and the romance of the passage I’ve quoted above, but also the existential rift that separates those who travel from those who usually don’t. (Although for full disclosure, I met my boy-who-doesn’t-usually-travel when he was passing through Austin as part of a trip, and I was on a break between two of mine.)

There was beauty, silence and awe. We spent one afternoon lying in each other’s arms on a park bench, daydreaming about what a life together might look like, and as the scent of Jacaranda blew over us, I felt oddly more satisfied than I had just weeks before, upon scaling the highest waterfall in Africa.

There was hand-holding and history, too. We strolled down the boulevards, bike lanes and alleys of my city, and as I explained the significance of buildings, intersections and the way he looked at me, I wasn’t just narrating the story of who I was before I left it all to travel – we were writing our own.

There was the fact that I was with him, and living in every moment with him. We marveled at the fuchsia trail the sun left in its wake the evening we said goodbye, and I felt more resolve in a single moment of kissing him than I have circling the globe half a dozen times. By the time we parted just minutes later, it was as if a blissful eternity had passed.

But there was also a fundamental dissonance: His “real life” was constrained by geography, circumstance and the notion of the absolute; the sky was the only limit to mine. When we met again before he left the States, there was enough beauty, hand-holding, silence, awe, and living right in the present moment to write the greatest love story ever told, but there was also an airplane waiting for him.

And although we had agreed, in terms that seemed certain to me, that I would soon follow him over the Pacific, his real life, his real job and his increasingly fixed view of reality itself soon rendered them uncertain. The longer we spent apart, the greater the distance between us seemed to grow, and the more impossible it became for him to believe that we could ever be together again.

This is not to say there weren’t real difficulties that might’ve eventually led to the destruction of our relationship, had we decided to pursue one. But the arguments we had, the differences in our perspectives and the thousands of miles that may separate us for the rest of our lives weren’t causes – they were symptoms.

A corporate sector employee, he was more paranoid that his privacy would be compromised when I blogged about him than he was flattered by the fact that I had taken the time to immortalize our story. I live in a world where the line between “public” and “private” is blurred, so I couldn’t empathize with him, even if I did write about him without using his name or any identifying details.

Flying over the ocean is just as within the realm of “normal” for me as going to happy hour or buying groceries is for him, so I couldn’t fathom there being anything to lose in test-driving life together – if it didn’t work out, I would simply leave. But it was easier for him to indulge fear than to entertain hope, so he pulled the plug, and that was that.

But understand that conventional wisdom is not conventional or wise to him. Realize that although he disappears behind the boundaries of what you consider to be real when you fly home, the mountains, oceans and political borders between you are no match for his heart and his will. He can’t comprehend letting logistics get in the way of love, because this is not how he lives his life.

is the author of 723 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. Robert founded Leave Your Daily Hell in 2010 so that other travelers would have an entertaining, reliable source of information, advice and inspiration at their fingertips. Want to travel more often? Subscribe to email updates today!

• Malaysia February 17-March 4
  • Singapore March 27-28
  • Middle East TBA April

ATA December 5, 2013 at 10:43 am

Whoooaaa, seriously this is AWESOME article so far!

Robert Schrader December 13, 2013 at 7:02 am

Thanks very much 🙂

A Girl who travels January 14, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Holy shit this is beautiful. I am a girl who travels dating a boy who is about to begin to travel with me on a hitch hiking trip from Chile through Argentina to Brazil. Hopefully everything goes well!

Robert Schrader January 15, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I hope it all goes well. Thank you for reading!

Travel girl January 26, 2014 at 10:35 am

You’re story is so beautiful. These affairs of the heart on the road are more sincere in my opinion, as you have nothing to lose. Some of the best times I’ve had with men have been whilst travelling. So bittersweet the ending but you never forget!

Robert Schrader January 28, 2014 at 9:42 am

Yes! Thanks for reading

Raphael Alexander Zoren February 2, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Beautiful story, Robert!

Grant M. Aho April 21, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Great post and a beautiful story!

Joseph Otter April 21, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Nice article. I can’t compromise my nomadic ways for anything. Found a girl I loved more than anyone I’ve ever known so far (I really don’t have any family except for my grandparents) but I had to be honest with myself because I realized that it would never work in the long run. She needs stability and routine. Marriage, children, a house, the works. But as much as I loved her I could never be tied down. Especially when I’m so young. Eventually I do want to “settle down” but not until I’m in my thirties. I’d have to be with someone who enjoys travel as much as I do. Maybe in the Philippines I’ll find the right one. In a country like the Philippines I bet you could go island hopping for the rest of your life and still not see it all.

Robert Schrader April 22, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I know that’s right RE: The philippines. I really have to get back – I’ve only been once, for just two weeks!

Robert Schrader April 22, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Thanks Grant! Wish it ended better but hey, at least I have a geat story out of it!

Andy Shepard July 26, 2014 at 8:53 am

Just stumbled across this article and loved it – came to check out your Sri Lanka 2 weeks plan and noticed this article in the sidebar. I’ve actually used your blog for quite a bit of my travel research and am very impressed. I love Date a Boy Who Travels ,and sad to say, have broken a heart and had my own heart broken due to my traveling ways. Hopefully one day we can all find someone to adventure with around the world! How awesome would that be!?

Anyway, keep the posts coming as you’ll always have a reader in me 🙂

Robert Schrader July 28, 2014 at 8:00 am

That is my ultimate goal. Thanks so much for reading and also, for taking the time to leave a comment.

Remote Road Roamer August 6, 2014 at 7:03 pm

“So please, date a boy who travels. Trust him to lead you down the right road when you take his hand. Know that when he speaks of your beauty, he’s comparing you to continents, seas and civilizations, not to other boys or girls. Believe him if he tells you you’re everything he’s been searching for.”

WOW. I just loved reading every word here. This highlight is my favorite. I love to travel! 20 countries & 37 U.S. states so far. Robert, thank you for sharing your stories…for all the boys who travel!

David Burton August 6, 2014 at 7:04 pm

David Burton August 6, 2014 at 7:15 pm

my travel blog, which I don’t update often enough, is http://www.roamingremoteroads.blogspot.com

Robert Schrader August 7, 2014 at 7:56 am

Thanks for reading David! You should update your blog more often.

Ven_V August 25, 2014 at 11:11 pm

The story of my life! I had a similar situation, I was coming from LA visiting friends in Berlin and he was teaching English there coming from Manchester. A one month tripped turned into a whirlwind 4 month picture perfect love affair. Riding bikes in the park, stealing kisses in museums and trekking all over Europe. He’d travelled so much his whole life that the thought of being in a long distance relationship seemed too much to bear and so our fantasy love affair slowly died due to circumstance. Although short and seat I will never ever forget. Sigh :/

Robert Schrader August 26, 2014 at 6:22 am

Sigh indeed :-/ Solidarity though!