Galapagos Tortoise

30 Photos That Will Make You Want to Visit Ecuador

My recent trip to Ecuador marked my third visit to South America, so when I make the contentious statement I’m about to make, I have the context for doing so: I think Ecuador might be my favorite country in South America.

Plan your trip with my Ecuador travel guide

Previously, this title probably would’ve gone to Colombia, the country where I spent my second visit to South America, one I found to be a microcosm for all the experiences I had during my epic, five-country first South America trip. Ecuador, I found, offers most of what Colombia does, but in a package that’s even smaller.

That being said, the premise of today’s post has nothing to do with superlatives or rankings: I simply want to show you the beauty of Ecuador using some of my favorite photos (and selfies!) I took there.

is the author of 723 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. Robert founded Leave Your Daily Hell in 2010 so that other travelers would have an entertaining, reliable source of information, advice and inspiration at their fingertips. Want to travel more often? Subscribe to email updates today!

• Malaysia February 17-March 4
  • Singapore March 27-28
  • Middle East TBA April

Heidi Wagoner December 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Amazing photos, makes me want to hop on a plane and ditch Spain for Ecuador. In time, maybe we will get there.

Ayngelina December 15, 2013 at 4:15 am

Wow great photos and hilarious selfies! I miss Ecuador!

Robert Schrader December 16, 2013 at 6:04 am

I have no doubt that you will!

Robert Schrader December 16, 2013 at 6:05 am

When were you there?

Mafer April 1, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Hi @leavyrdailyhell:disqus … I want to share the latest Ecuadorian tourism campaign and since you have such a good impression of my country, would appreciate to hear your comments on every detail of it (specially the chosen song)… I’m trying to get the impression of foreign people and I just read your entry about your experience here, so I decided to write to you. Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCwLjXH0f-Y

THANKS!!!
Maria

JJCC April 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Mr. Schrader the photos you post of your trip to Ecuador do not reflect the real beauty of my country. For starters the church you post as La Compania is really the church of San Francisco, then you post a lot of very ugly photos of Baños that do not reflect in anyway the beauty of that city. Lastly I find shameful that you post a photo of a sea lion napping around garbage in the Galapagos Island. When you come back here please honor Ecuador by showing your followers the real Ecuador. Regards.

Robert Schrader April 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Hello:

Thank you for reading and for sharing your opinion. You are certainly welcome to it; however, I do not feel it is your place to attack my art by calling it “ugly.” I have simply shared with my readers the vision I have of Ecuador, which for the record many of them have found beautiful. I want to encourage people to visit Ecuador on their own and get their own impression of the country. Your negative attitude, on the other hand, discourages people from taking this course of action.

Robert Schrader April 2, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Thank you, Maria!

Pam April 21, 2014 at 10:34 pm

HI! Very interesting travel blog. One of my favorites! Keep up the great work!
What kind of camera do you use?

Robert Schrader April 22, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Hi Pam:

Thanks for reading and also, for your compliments! I use a Nikon D7100!

Estefania Herrera June 12, 2014 at 4:23 am

Hi Robert! Amazing photos! I am from Ecuador and I think you have captivated part of the atmosphere and a bit of culture. Ecuador is one of the smallest countries in South America but it’s biodiversity, fauna and flora are so incredible! Just taking a car 15 minutes away from the city you can see already different vegetation and breath pure air! Thank you for sharing! last time I will advice you to go to the YASUNI! the jungle I think is one of the best places it is magic! cheers! Tef

Robert Schrader June 12, 2014 at 7:52 am

Thank you for your message, Estefania! I can’t wait for my next trip to Ecuador and to visit the jungle!

Wiwi Hoyos October 3, 2014 at 2:14 pm

what I love about this pictures is that it shows the details of what is the most interesting things through your eyes! and I bet there is a lot you still have to see, the little things and places that a local can show you 😀 I’m so glad you had a good time here! I love my country <3

Wiwi Hoyos October 3, 2014 at 2:16 pm

exactly!! I agree with you Robert

Robert Schrader October 6, 2014 at 6:06 am

I love your country too!

Wiwi Hoyos November 3, 2014 at 1:53 pm

you need to come back 🙂

Robert Schrader November 3, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I agree 🙂

Carlotta April 15, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Mission accomplisced. After seing those pictures I want to visit Ecuador. It looks simple and real.

Dana Choez July 24, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I love this post!! I’m from Ecuador but live in the US and I’ve been dying to visit Galapagos! I’m glad your enjoy your stay and that you like my country =)

Robert Schrader July 26, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Gracias, amiga! Me encanta ecuador!

George wages September 22, 2015 at 2:17 pm

I REALLY LIKE THE PICTURES. I will be going there for a month or so in February. Did I miss the captions on the photos? Been nice to know where and what I was looking at.like that Church. Wow!

Robert Schrader September 23, 2015 at 6:24 am

Hi George:

You didn’t miss the caption on my pictures; I don’t caption them. I like the experience to be more of an etheral one. If you love the pictures, please visit my Ecuador travel guide to get more info: http://leaveyourdailyhell.com/one-week-in-the-galapagos-islands/