Teeth in Thailand

Why I Trust My Teeth to Thailand

Many of you know that I participate in the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s Medical Blog Contest a few years ago, which allowed me to learn more about the wide variety of affordable medical and dental treatment available in the Land of Smiles.

What you probably don’t know is that when I was in Bangkok last summer, I had some dental work done – a lot of dental work. I was so satisfied with the value, the quality and the experience that I plan to return to Thailand every time I need more dental work.

The decision of whether or not to take part in dental tourism in Thailand is yours alone, but here’s why I’m glad I did!

Need help planning your trip to Thailand, for dental tourism or otherwise? Hire me as your Travel Coach!

Cost of Dental Treatment in Thailand

Like most things in Thailand, dental treatment is extremely affordable. The treatment I had last year – two root canals, with porcelain crowns, plus three simple fillings – would’ve cost me over $4,000 in the U.S., but cost under $2,000 in Thailand.

Still sound expensive? Dental treatment in Thailand can be had even cheaper than that, although you should be careful – you do tend to get what you pay for. If you want to make sure you get top-quality work at a top-value price, check out a company called Medigo, who specializes in medical and dental tourism in Thailand.

Types of Dental Treatment Available in Thailand

Low cost notwithstanding, another advantage of traveling to Thailand for dental work is that you can have just about everything done there, from cleanings and scalings, to fillings and root canals, to invasive procedures like bridges and implants.

Ever beauty-obsessed, Thailand is also a great place to have cosmetic dental work done, from porcelain veneers to laser teeth whitening. Although I warn you from experience: Don’t get the whitening done if your teeth are prone to sensitivity!

Risks of Dental Treatment in Thailand

Many Thai dentists are educated in the West, and adhere to just as high a standard of care as your dentist back home. Unfortunately, others do poor work, exercise poor hygiene and generally give Thai dental tourism a bad name.

The bad news is that the risks associated with dental tourism in Thailand, however rare or common they actually are, are definitely not imagined. The good news is that proper planning and caution will shield you from them.

How To Find a Dentist in Thailand

The most surefire way to ensure you have a great dental experience in Thailand is to choose the right dentist. Unfortunately, this can be difficult – some streets in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya are literally overflowing with dentists!

The best way to choose a good dentists is to use a reputable, international medical tourism consultancy. My friend Victoria runs one called Novasans, for example, and there are many others around the world as well.

is the author of 746 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. Robert founded Leave Your Daily Hell in 2010 so that other travelers would have an entertaining, reliable source of information, advice and inspiration at their fingertips. Want to travel more often? Subscribe to email updates today!

• Krabi, Thailand April 28-May 1
  • Chongqing, China May 11-15
  • Chiang Mai, Thailand May 26-29
  • Phnom Penh, Cambodia June 9-12
  • Sukhothai, Thailand June 23-26
  • Ireland July TBA

Hannah Coleman April 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Fascinating! I had braces when I was a teen but they haven’t exactly remained perfect since. I have considered further treatment so once I begin my travels in January I will have to keep this in mind.

Sonia October 4, 2013 at 4:51 am

Thanks, really interesting. India is another good place for dental tourism.

Dental Holiday UK

Mark.B November 15, 2013 at 3:25 am

Thailand dentist are certainly very good. I also have my pick but don’t want to advertise, just take a look at the listings http://thaidental.co of top dentists in Thailand, and choose one.

Robert Schrader November 15, 2013 at 8:35 am

Thanks Mark!

Talulabell January 16, 2014 at 2:39 am

A few months ago, I was able to had dental implant in Thailand as well, plus a ton of work done. If you ask for a whole arch (top/bottom) implants in the US it would approximately cost 25-40000$ . While in Thailand, the exact same brand of implant is about 1/8th the cost which is so much more reasonable. But while procedures abroad may be cheaper, there are a number of things you’ll want to consider before traveling internationally for dental care, like finding a trusted dentist and clinic. It was not that hard for me to find the right one, like you, I also consulted a dental tourism company in Colorado and they gave me a list of reputable dentist in Thailand. They were able to arrange my trip from start to finish, making the process very easy for me.

Robert Schrader January 16, 2014 at 9:18 am

Thanks for your comment, Talulabell.

Resse Hiegl January 25, 2014 at 5:01 am

Thailand dentists are amazing. I had upper crown and was very pleased with the treatment. Dr. Sunil Dental Clinic is the best dental clinic in Thailand. Doctors were very helpful. Thailand is surely a good place for dental tourism. Dr. Sunil is highly recommended for all dental problems.

Robert Schrader January 28, 2014 at 9:42 am

Thanks for the input!

Shannon Lucas April 29, 2014 at 1:27 pm

what was the name/link of the company in Co.?

Talulabell May 2, 2014 at 1:25 am

It’s PlacidWay Shannon. You can check our their website for inquiries. Thanks!

Zizi July 16, 2014 at 6:33 am

I’ve not tried dental treatment outside of Europe, but in Europe i have really good experiences. My advice is to travel to Budapest (Hungary) because the prices are low, and the treatment’s quality is on high-level. Dentrips made the planning so much earier because they have organized everything, and they kept me always up-to-date .

Robert Schrader July 16, 2014 at 7:31 am

I’ve heard that Hungary is a great place for dental tourism! I have a friend who had breast surgery there as well.

drmartinkitay March 8, 2015 at 4:08 am

Knowing the cost of dental service in Thailand will give people a second thought about gettting the service in U.S. Thailand has very competitive costs for the same quality service.

Robert Schrader March 9, 2015 at 9:37 am

Yes, it actually makes no sense.

Wanderlustyogi March 25, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I am a dental hygienist and have many expat patients that only get their dental treatment done in their place of origin. I just clean their teeth every 6 months. 🙂 Seeing the dental work first and and then hearing about the low cost, I am tempted to go get some dental work done abroad myself!

Robert Schrader March 31, 2015 at 7:50 am

It’s an amazing option.

Thai Medical Advisor May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am

Thank you very much for supporting Thai medical tourism. We as a Thai medical advisor team, are trying our best to serve your needs effectively, impressively and cost saving

If you need assistant on your Medical trip in Thailand, please also feel free to drop us a quick notes and we will get back to you with what you require at http://www.thaimedicaladvisor.com/

Tahir Sazali August 19, 2015 at 3:43 am

Thank! Very informative and interesting I enjoyed a lot of from it.

Robert Schrader August 23, 2015 at 6:10 am

Thanks 🙂

Kanika Gupta (medicaltourismab September 10, 2015 at 2:57 am

If you are looking to travel abroad for Dental treatment Abroad, then obviously Thailand is a very good option. But if you are looking for more options other than Thailand, you can go for other South Asian Countries like India, Malaysia and Singapore. You can contact Medical Tourism Abroad for more options.

Carla Guzman October 27, 2015 at 7:25 pm

but tell how much did you pay please

Medical Leads November 19, 2015 at 3:24 am

Dental care is something that interest and concern people from all around the world. The most common dental procedure and treatments are root canals, braces, gum surgery dental implants, crowns, extractions, teeth whitening, veneers, crowns, bridges and dentures.
Thailand is a destination where plenty of renowned dentists are treating both local and international patients. There are many top notch clinics and dental specialists chosen by patients who want to have dental treatment done in Thailand. http://www.placidarabic.com/dental-care-packages/best-dentists-in-thailand/

Teerapol Thawornpol February 8, 2016 at 6:39 am

just check a price list of Saladaeng dental clinic nere silom Bangkok city center to compare to your local dental clinic http://saladaengdental.com/dentalprice.html

TomC May 21, 2016 at 2:18 am

I have had my 4 implants and other dental jobs done multiple times in Thailand and I have had no problem using this website from start to end **http://www.healthticket.co**/ They give you all the info you need, doctor consultation prior to any bookings, price estimate and get your appointment booked for you for free as well. They partner with tier 1 hospitals and clinics that have either ISO or JCI qualification so you can be sure to get world-class service. Overall, I highly recommend for anyone looking to get any dental work done in Thailand as mine were done with much ease, which was very helpful in putting my mind at peace with all the worries and research.

Dental Implants Friends September 19, 2016 at 9:02 am

Yes, indeed. Apart from Thailand, European countries also offer excellent service and high quality dental care for affordable prices. Especially in dental implants which can be costly in the USA. Check Hungary as an example: http://www.dentalimplantsfriends.com/dental-implants-country-hungary/

estelle February 14, 2017 at 2:34 am

I also had to see a dentist when I was in Bangkok last summer, but I’m a spammer!