Foreign Money

How Much Can You Make Teaching English?

I’ve written frequently about how moving to China to teach English was the most important decision I ever made. One thing I haven’t talked about as much is the actual amount of money you can make teaching English overseas.

To be sure, the typical ESL salary is just one of the many benefits of teaching English overseas, which include the opportunity to live abroad, an exotic base for your travels and the psychological release of getting out of your home country bubble, to name a few. Teaching English overseas isn’t necessarily about how much you earn, but the transformative effect it has on your life.

Need help finding an ESL job abroad? Let me help.

Teaching English in Asia

The highest ESL salaries are generally in Asia, a fact compounded by the low cost of living in many Asian countries. Specifically, the Asia countries where you can make the most amount of money teaching English are South Korea and China.

The average ESL salary in South Korea, for example, ranges anywhere from 1,500-3,000 USD per month for new teachers, with experienced teachers sometimes earning much more. Many Korean schools, whether you work in the public system or in private hagwons, provide you with an apartment free of charge which, combined with a low cost of living, allows you to save a lot of money.

It’s also possible to bank a lot of money teaching English in China. While Chinese schools are less likely to provide you with an apartment, and the average ESL salary in China is a bit lower than in Korea, the cost of living in China is much lower.

When I taught in Shanghai, for example, I brought home 12,350 RMB (about 1,800 USD at the time) per month, but my total cost of living was under $1,000 per month, which meant that I could comfortably save $800 per month.

Other popular destinations for teaching English in Asia include Japan, Taiwan and Southeast Asian countries, namely Thailand and Vietnam. ESL salaries and living costs in Taiwan are similar to those in China, which has made it a popular choice, particularly (and inexplicably) among Canadians.

While you earn more than perhaps anywhere else teaching English in Japan, particularly as part of the government-sponsored JET Programme, the cost of living in Japan is extremely high, meaning you can’t save as much.

In Southeast Asia, on the other hand, you face the opposite problem: The cost of living is extremely low, but so too is the amount of money you can earn as an English teacher.

Teaching English in the Middle East

If your sole objective is money, then teaching English in The Middle East might be your best bet. I’ve seen entry-level ESL salaries as high as 70,000 USD per year in Middle Eastern countries like Saudi Arabia, although this comes at a cost.

For starters, many schools in the Middle East require advanced degrees for English teachers. Additionally, many of the highest-paying Middle Eastern countries for English teachers have strict social norms, which can be especially problematic for females.

Teaching English in Europe

Europe is many peoples’ first choice for teach English abroad, but there are a few reasons this isn’t as advantageous as you might think. For starters, European schools are more reticent to hire inexperienced English teachers than those in Asia. Additionally, entry-level ESL salaries in Europe tend to hover around the same range as those in Korea and China – ~1,500-3,000 USD per month – which, when coupled with much higher costs of living, means a less attractive financial bottom line.

Of course, the allure of living in the world’s most popular travel region is enough for many people on its own, so if you are more concerned about your overall experience than with how much money you make teaching English abroad, Europe might be the right choice for you.

Teaching English in South America

Like Europe, South America has an allure that makes it an exciting prospective destination for teaching English. Unfortunately, South America is one of the worst choices for teaching English, from a financial perspective.

While it’s possible to earn a relatively decent wage teaching English in more developed countries like Chile and Brazil, ESL jobs in poorer countries like Perú and Bolivia tend not to pay. In fact, due to poor funding of some schools and other educational initiatives, you might actually need to pay money to teach English in some South America countries.

Teaching Abroad Elsewhere

Generally speaking, you shouldn’t expect to earn much teaching English in Africa or other poor parts of the world. In fact, as is the case in South America, you may very well end up needing to pay to teach English here.

If you want to earn a lot of money teaching abroad, your best bet is not to teach English, but to teach for an international school. These jobs generally require state or national teacher certification (some, to be sure, require advanced degrees), but pay handsomely.

On the other hand, they often require commitments of two years or more, which can make teaching English, while less lucrative, a better overall prospect. Although you probably won’t make a fortune teaching English abroad, you will have access to cultural immersion and travel that you simply won’t have twiddling your thumbs at home.

is the author of 790 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. Robert founded Leave Your Daily Hell in 2010 so that other travelers would have an entertaining, reliable source of information, advice and inspiration at their fingertips. Want to travel more often? Subscribe to email updates today!

• Iran September 29-October 17
  • Maldives November 15-22
  • USA December 21-January 4
  • Okinawa, Japan February 2-5

Jet Rodriguez January 7, 2014 at 10:12 am

great post, robert! liked how you organized the info.

Sol Erwin Diaz January 7, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I have been teaching for several years already, and I would say you have no money in teaching. If you want money then go to business.

Robert Schrader January 8, 2014 at 6:29 am

Good point, Sol!

Robert Schrader January 8, 2014 at 6:31 am

Thanks sweetie :-*

teacherstuck June 8, 2014 at 7:13 am

I am in Buenos Aires. You don’t teach in a school. It is business English teaching, which means you travel around the city (with very slow and difficult buses unless you are lucky enough to have a job near a subway line). The pay is poor and you have to supplement with private tutoring, which would be fine if everyone else doing this didn’t have the same ad on craigslist. Babysitting, dog walking, odd jobs…I don’t recommend it. Making enough money to live is very difficult, never mind saving for a plane ticket to go elsewhere.

Robert Schrader June 11, 2014 at 8:37 am

Thanks for the input!

exhaustedandbroke June 23, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I’m in Buenos Aires as well. Don’t do South America. I’ve heard of people working six jobs, six days a week working for institutes teaching Business English, plus privates (if they can find them), plus odd jobs. There’s no quality of life factor. Buenos Aires would probably be a lovely place to live, I’m too busy working to notice. The only people surviving financially who also have a life are people in administration at the institutes.

Robert Schrader June 24, 2014 at 7:58 am

Noted!

Dr. Bowman June 30, 2014 at 3:16 pm

It’s not about money, but a comfortable existence is necessary. I am about to embark on a life in China, Teaching EFL to youngsters, and taking a pay cut to do so. However, I wouldn’t stay in the UK for anything other than a HUGE salary right now!

leonardo Bernal Bogar "Leo" March 3, 2015 at 1:25 pm

So how do I get started? I just graduated from UHD here in Houston Texas and would love to teach anywhere in the world!! but come to think of it, South Korea doesn’t sound bad at all!! I work for a well known US needy shelter as a resident advisor but would like to try something different. I’m actually excited about this and haven’t even applied anywhere ha ha ha

If you guys can email me any advice or steps I would appreciate [email protected]

Robert Schrader March 4, 2015 at 5:40 am
Lalaveigh March 4, 2015 at 6:39 am

Hi Robert I was also looking at joing to teach english abroad and taking the tefl course but how easy it is to get a job… I mean there must be millons of people who do this worldwide

Robert Schrader March 4, 2015 at 6:44 am

I think you would be surprised at how few people, relatively speaking, actually end up doing this!

ESLinsider March 13, 2015 at 12:50 am

The “average” salary in Korea is like $1,800-2000 a month. If you are an inexperienced public school teacher you will make about 1,900,000 Won a month. Hagwons often pay more. The highest salary I heard of a guy making over there was 2,900,000 Won a month. Most teachers get benefits there like free housing, severance pay, airfare, and sometimes pension pay.

pete wilson November 11, 2015 at 4:27 am

I earned 2.1 million won in korea back in 2007, with a free apartment etc. I dont see how saving 800$ a month is anything to brag about, especially when you factor in a holiday or trip home at christmas. If you end up working overseas long term, you are essentially working for free.

If you are truly money focused then you (a) want to make it a career by working for an established employer like the British Council (career potential) (b) go to a country with very high salaries ( I know someone earning 5000 GBP a month in Saudi) or (c) work in private tuition (check the duke and duchess intl website for governor / governess positions)

Classroom teaching at language schools as a long term occupation isn’t worth it. If you want the overseas experience just take a holiday

Matt December 24, 2015 at 12:11 pm

In Korea, you forgot to mention that many schools will refuse to take any American, Australian, British or any eligible nations from teaching English of Asian ethnicity, even if you are half. The Koreans are crazy and only believe White people or Black people teach authentic English.

P Kennedy March 8, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Really – Korea takes “black” people??

P Kennedy March 8, 2016 at 12:26 pm

It probably beats staying at “home” with NO job opportunities, as I remember meeting a former-roommate burned-out public school teacher who said that. She wasn’t getting enough work to support herself Stateside – and in California, no less – so she joined TeachAway and went off to either Thailand or Vietnam. I mean, unless you live in a country with generous “welfare” benefits for college graduates who just can’t find jobs…you have got to go somewhere and earn a living somehow.

P Kennedy March 8, 2016 at 12:31 pm

If I were to look at South America at all, I’d look in countries where the majority of people were brown-skinned mestizos looking more like me so I wouldn’t be turned down for the job just due to skin pigmentation. I’m not being racist, I’m just tired of getting turned down for jobs just because of the colour of MY skin and I have no desire to fly halfway around the world just to have THAT happen again. I have a Maths teaching license but when people see me they assume that teaching English must be all I’m good for.

nina October 4, 2016 at 7:56 pm

What a stupid comment. It’s best to keep this foolishness at home rather than enter someone else’s homeland land with it.