Robert Schrader in Iceland

30 Pictures That Will Make You Want to Visit Iceland

I arrived to Iceland, you might recall if you read the essay I posted on Tuesday, just hours before an aptly-described “Storm of the Century” hit. I did a bit of sightseeing before the veritable snow-hurricane made landfall, but I was well into the third day of my trip before I truly began to get acquainted with the country.

The first thing I noticed, outside of Reykjavík this is, was how few people there are in Iceland. On any given day, I could drive an hour or even two without seeing any other cars on the road. Towns and villages were nearly empty, even their restaurants and supermarkets. I had almost every attraction I visited completely to myself.

At first, the attractions you see in my pictures of Iceland seemed quite repetitive: A waterfall here, a team of Icelandic horses there; a black-lava beach here, a volcanic thermal field there; a picturesque church here, a charming farmhouse there; an all-day sunset here, an all-night aurora there—you get the picture. Well, 30 of them if you continue reading this post.

Indeed it took me several cycles through this proverbial list to realize my Iceland pictures were not repetitive but geometric, like a snowflake: Immaculately structured and patterned, seemingly to spec, but absolutely one-of-a-kind.

I’ll be back on Monday with a guide that lays out concrete specifics about my Iceland road trip (and how you can take one like it!) and matches some of the Iceland photos I’m about to share to their locations. But for now, I think it’s best if you experience Iceland as I did: A mesmerizing sequence of subjects and scenery that makes you feel like you’re everywhere and nowhere at once.

Travelers, book your tickets. (And check out my Iceland itinerary, which is live now!)

Need help planning your trip to Iceland? Hire me as your Travel Coach!

is the author of 1051 posts on Leave Your Daily Hell. Robert founded Leave Your Daily Hell in 2010 so that other travelers would have an entertaining, reliable source of information, advice and inspiration at their fingertips. Want to travel more often? Subscribe to email updates today!

• Sydney, Australia January 16-19
  • New Zealand January 20-February 4

{ 20 comments }

Bryan Richards December 18, 2015 at 8:47 am

I’m sold!

Robert Schrader December 18, 2015 at 8:58 am

Success!

Alexandra C. MacArthur December 18, 2015 at 10:08 am

You know, I don’t think there’s anyone who hates being cold more than me….but this…this might have just convinced me to finally check out Iceland.

darwin December 18, 2015 at 11:08 am

Im speechless. wow!

Dan Saba | Path XO December 21, 2015 at 6:43 pm

The photos are conveying sad and cold in a way, and that’s definitely not a bad thing. Makes me think of a conversation I had with a friend about how ‘happy and warm’ isn’t always the default. These pictures help me explain my thoughts more. This looks like a place to visit when I need some time alone with my introspection.

BostonJetSet December 21, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I’m so happy you enjoyed Iceland. Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures! It is such a beautiful country that abounds with natural beauty and super-friendly locals. I’ve been twice [both times in March] and would not hesitate to go back. Wintertime shows off the country’s truest beauty I think.

I would like to share a tip with you and your readers. As you stated, Iceland can be very expensive. However, those of us on the east coast [Boston and NYC especially] can often get great deals through Icelandair that include flight, hotel, and a tour. We added on days to the package tour and rented a car to drive to Vik on our own. It will likely be cheaper to do that way rather than booking a la carte hotels, etc, and you have the advantage of seeing both on and off-the-beaten path sights. This is not the best option to do a circumnavigation like you did, but it was perfect to take in Reykjavik along with some side trips to other regions within a day’s drive.

Robert Schrader December 22, 2015 at 6:18 am

Thanks for sharing this tip! I alluded to it during my post, and although I think it’s better than not seeing Iceland at all, I personally believe seeing Iceland on a tour almost defeats the purpose of traveling there. Anyway, thanks for providing specifics for anyone who wants to dig deeper.

Robert Schrader December 22, 2015 at 6:18 am

Absolutely! The most amazing attraction of Iceland is solitude.

Robert Schrader December 22, 2015 at 6:19 am
BostonJetSet December 22, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I agree that Iceland has a lot to offer an independent traveler and a “tour” can be limited in scope.
I believe there are also packages that only include flights/hotels though so one would be able to partake in independent exploration; that is another option for those that want less structure but still are looking to score some discounted rates. 🙂

Can’t wait to see where you head off to next!

gusto travels December 26, 2015 at 12:43 pm

to be honest, you just made me jealous, I never knew that I could survive there because of the climate. your article and pictures made me to go for a second thought. you just convinced me that it’s possible and open for anyone who loves to travel.

Miles of Happiness December 27, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Stunning… I’m definitely sharing this post with my readers.

KareninCalabria January 6, 2016 at 2:03 am

Wow, just wow!
Addendum to the wow: When I lived in Alaska, friends wanted to visit in the summer, but I said they had to come back in the winter. Your photos explain why. Really stunning.

Robert Schrader January 6, 2016 at 11:19 am

Thanks for the compliments. Would love to visit Alaksa!

Mönkey January 10, 2016 at 5:17 am

I know this is random but what hair products do you use? Feel free to smack me down

Carmen Everywhere February 23, 2016 at 2:41 pm

The only problem in visiting Iceland is it’s so icy. lol just kidding. Truly, Icleland sounds such a magical place to visit. So isolated and yet it has all the modern comforts. Plus amazing natural places to visit and see. Thanks for the excellent post.

Robert Schrader February 27, 2016 at 8:12 am

I don’t really use hair products 🙂

Sarah Chant July 17, 2016 at 1:43 am

Amazing photos!! What dates were you there? We’re considering late Dec/early Jan

Robert Schrader July 20, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I was there the first week of December!

Nicole November 16, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Robert, your pictures are amazing!!! They really do justice to the beauty of Iceland.

{ 1 trackback }